Between two Tom's with Tom & Tom from Idle Threat
For this one, I've renamed the segment for obvious reasons. Whatever anyone does, do not show this to Zach what's his name? Galliffannakkiis.. Galifankias. Gallafanakasa...Zach Galifianakis. That's the one.
Me and Tom Smith (guitar: stage wherever. probably left knowing him) go way back. He's legitimately one of my favourite humans and we've pondered the meaning of life, love, riffs, amp head and cabinet combinations, riffs and all kinds of regret over many beers.
Tom McEwen (vocals: stage front and centre/possible headwalker) I've not had the pleasure of knowing for as long but he's a solid . dude that loves a beer and a bootleg (so i hear).
They are in a righteous Sydney band (my home town, yeah) called Idle Threat. If you like melodic/technical punk like A Wilhelm Scream, No Trigger, Propagandhi and Strike Anywhere, go wrap your ears around them on bandcamp. They've put out an album and are apparently done with a new EP produced by Jay Frenzal. Ideally, this would've coincided with that release, but i can't keep waiting forever, so here's some questions they answered.
1. If you could narrow down your top five favourite bands/ artists, who are they?
Top band is (and always will be) Avail. The other four, in no order, would h
have to include The Gifthorse, Taylor Swift, Ramones and Descendents.
2. Have you got a "white whale"? Have you found it or are you still looking?
Some of the top records on want list include:
Avail - Satiate LP (Catheter Assembly pressing), Seaweed - Spanaway LP, Dragged Into Sunlight - Hatred For Mankind LP, Ramones - Mondo Bizzaro LP and Ramones - We’re Outta Here LP.
It’s pretty easy to find these for sale online but I’m more interested in finding these in record stores. Way more exciting and fun than Discogs or Ebay.
3. If you were locked in a room for the rest of your life with endless food, water and a turntable, but were only allowed FIVE records to have with you, what are they?
What monster allows only five records? Today it would be Avail’s Dixie, 4AM Friday and Over The James, Ramones’ Leave Home and Taylor Swift’s Speak Now. Bonus selection: the Law & Order theme song.
a) Best Taylor Swift Tattoo you have: The feeling 22 on my leg.
b) Worst Taylor Swift Tattoo you have: There is no such thing as a bad Taylor tattoo
c) Taylor Swift tattoo you would like to get: Maybe a T.S. snake or an Enchanted tattoo. Enchanted is one of the greatest songs of all time.
5. Any current bands or artists you wish more people knew about?
There are so many bands out there doing great things. Canine are one of the best bands in Sydney and Australia. Loose Fit are really cool. Party Dozen and No Doz. Nerdlinger. Whalehouse from Brisbane are great, and so much fun. Sketch Method out of Canberra. Ubik from Melbourne. Faceless Burial is some great death from Melbourne. That’s a small handful.
1. Off the top of your head, 5 all-time favourite bands/artists?
Off the top of my head, these are the bands that make me scream the loudest/play air guitar when they come on.
- No Trigger
- Frenzal Rhomb
2. Last LP you purchased?
I was vibing very hard at the 1000 Mods show the other night and bought all 3 or 4 of their vinyls in one go. I still haven't listened to them and was very drunk at the time so I don't remember exactly what they sound like but drunk me generally has pretty good taste.
The last LPs I purchased off you however were Faith No More's "King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime" and "Album of the Year".
3. You're on the run from the law due to some unspecified crime you have just committed (knowing you, drunken public lewdness and nudity). For this exact crime and punishment you want to avoid you have to skip town never to return and you have space for only three records to take with you. What are they?
1) Comeback Kid - Symptoms and Cures
2) The Bronx - The Bronx (I)
3) A Wilhelm Scream - Career Suicide
4. 5150 or 6505?
They're the same bloody amp! But if I had to choose, I'd go a 6505 because:
1) I owned one for 10 years without a single service/tube change, played 150+ shows (with band pracs on top of that!) and the thing still powered on and
2) I'm not a brand-whore hype-beast like some people I know.
...Fuck, I regret selling that beast.
5. Top three shows you've ever seen?
1) A Wilhelm Scream upstairs at the Newtown Social Club in... 2015?
2) Any time I've ever seen The Bronx. Best live band on the planet. Not open to debate.
3) The last show of Idle Threat's tour with No Trigger and Red City Radio at The Rev in Melbourne. I don't remember much apart from it being the start of the loosest night of our lives.
Love ya, Daaaaaan!