Emilie is a Radio Host, singer/songwriter and vinyl enthusiast, and has probably the best collection of cut-off band shirts i've ever seen. She's from Canada, and she's super cool for taking part in this series.
Follow her on the 'gram @punk_roquette and Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/punkdetente/ and show her some love.
1. Is there a particular band, song or album that got you into music?
When i was young in the 90s, there was a very good pop rock singer in Québec named Julie Masse (google it, you won't regret it) and she totally motivated me to sing. But if we stay in the punk rock topic, when i was at the end of high school, i heard some punk rock at a party and asked a friend to make me a punk rock compilation cd with Blink 182, Bad Religion, Nofx, The Offspring, No use for a name and more. The first album i remember that i reallllly wanted and got was Punk in Drublic by NOFX and Americana by Offspring.
2. What's the best thing about collecting vinyl?
It's the whole experience, from physically holding the artwork to, of course, the sound. Time stops when i take out a record, look at the artwork, read the lyrics and listen. I think it's a more "complete" experience. I especially looooove vinyl with bright and vibrant colours!
Nothing makes me happier than spinning vinyl at home with some friends, drinking coffee or an IPA, and talking about music.
3. If you were to be locked in a room for the rest of your life with endless food, water & a turntable, and are only allowed FIVE records, what records do you choose?
Dammmmn that's awful! Today, i'd say :
1) A Wilhelm Scream - Partycrasher because i could never get bored of all those awesome riffs, lyrics and vocal harmonies. Everything is perfect on that album.
2) No Use For A Name - Making friends. Nothing is more comforting than Tony Sly's voice on that punk rock beat. Some of my favourite songs and lyrics are on that album.
3) Atlas Losing Grip - currents : i'm obsessed with Rodrigo's voice and those lyrics. That album makes me cry and i would need that, alone in this room, haha
4) Propagandhi - Potemkin City Limits
i love this angry mood and brilliant lyrics. That band helped me to open my eyes on a lot of topics. I'd still need to think, locked in that room! 😁
5) Descendents - Milo Goes To College
That band makes me smile all the time and i don't know why! It gives me a burst of energy every time i listen to it!
4. Is there an album you want but are having a hard time finding on vinyl?
I'm usually FINDING vinyl and not searching for them. But i REALLY want to find The Red Tree, by Moneen. It's in my top 5 best albums of all time and i can't find it. It's sold out. It's a greaaat album that gives me musical orgasms every time i listen to it!
It's a hard question because it could change every day!
5. Are there any current bands or artists you would like more people to know about?
Québec province local scene is awesome! We are a family and a lot of our bands should be more known worldwide! Groups like Our Darkest Days, Hitch and go, Hate it too, Down Memory Lane, Colorsfade, Peer Pressure, and a lot more...
I'm also a big fan of Setbacks, a band with members in South Africa, USA and UK! I love that kind of collaboration! They play fast, melodic, and technical punk rock, which is my favourite music style!
Also, because of my radio show, i have bands from all around the world sending me me their music and i'm more than happy to discover a lot of new stuff every week! I'm thinking about 69 infermos and Statues on fire from Brazil. Or Bikeage, from Germany! Or... I could talk about new and old stuff for years but i'll stop for now, haha! Thanks a lot! 😊 🎶