If you are from Switzerland and like hardcore music, there's a fair chance you've heard of Cataract. They are legendary in these parts and have a loyal following around the world. Ricky, their drummer is a solid dude who now plays in Safe State and runs a record label called Grim Reality Records. He also jocked Coroner, so he gets mad props for that.
1. Straight off the bat, if you were forced to listen to only FIVE albums for the rest of your life, what would they be?
- Morbid Angel “Altars Of Madness”
- Carnivore “Retaliation”
- Death “Scream Bloody Gore”
- Bolt Thrower “Realm Of Chaos”
- if it counts, Iron Maiden’s “Live After Death”
- if not, King Diamond “Abigail”
2. Are there any bands, past or present that you wish got more attention?
Mostly old bands that I feel have just missed out and deserved much more attention back then and also now. Sabbat from the UK (who I am listening to right now), ZnöWhite from the US. Coroner’s “RIP” deserves much more attention, also the Mindrot demos. I also wish Neanderthal would have written more songs.
3. Best / favourite show you've played
I’ll refer to what we’ve done with cataract haha! There’s been a lot of great ones. Peak was probably our fist Greenfield show in 2007 when we opened the day in a fully packed tent and the response was unbelievable. Other ones I’ll always remember is a one off at Kofmehl 2005 joining the Persistence Tour and when we played Lancaster in the UK during our tour with Maroon. That was probably our wildest show ever. Fedi’s voice was fucked so we announced that we’ll play most songs instrumental and then this kid said he’ll sing, he knew all the lyrics. No idea what exactly happened but the crowd went completely nuts and it ended with everyone (bands included) getting kicked out of the venue because it was trashed after five songs.
4. Favourite releases of 2019?
So far it’s very death / black metal dominated, and it’s hard to pick a favourite.
- Tomb Mold “Planetary Clairvoyance”- Pissgrave “Posthumous Humiliation”
- Triumvir Foul “Urine Of Abmination”
- Departure Chandelier “Antichrist Rise To Power”
- Carved Cross “Sapped Of Strength”
5. What's the rest of 2019 got in store for you?
We’re trying to turn up the heat for Grim Reality Records, we’ve got a few nice things planned and we hope we’ll manage to get worldwide distribution. Follow uson facebook and instagram