Five For Five with Tim Mehew & Kevin Leal of Get Dead
I'll be honest. The day/night i first hung out with the Get Dead crew in Zurich, Switzerland is a bit of a blur. I remember spending a lot of the time with Russ & Sam (hi Russ, hi Sam- I miss ya buds!) #2drinkspecial connoisseur and singer, respectively. To say we partied would be doing a dis-service the the antics we got up to.
I DO remember having a solid chat with Tim, their bass player, about our daughters, music and life in general. It was also the first encore bass-solo i've ever seen.
Kevin, their "merch guy" always had an orange drink in his hand that looked like juice. I guess it was? We talked a bunch of shit about i don't remember what. Stickers, maybe.
Anyway, a better crew, you couldn't come across and i'm glad to know them.
They are coming back through Europe next month, so go and see them if they are playing near you. You won't regret it.
1. I won't put a number on it, but what are your favourite bands/artists of all time?
Hall and Oates
Sorry, obvious answers, I know
2. Five desert island albums?
1. Jaya the Cat "A Good Day for the Damned" and "The International Sound of Hedonism"
2. Minor Threat "Out of Step"
3. A Wilhelm Scream "Mute Print"
4. Dead to Me "Cuban Ballerina"
5. The Beatles "Abbey Road"
3. Do you remember the album/song or band that got you into music?
This might sound weird but it was VooDoo Glow Skulls "Shoot the Moon." I was already listening to Rancid and Blanks 77,and Suicide Machines at 14 but for some reason VGS put me over the edge and from then on out it was Circle Jerks "World Up My Ass," Back Against the Wall," "Behind the Door" Bad Brains "At the Movies,"I Against I," Operation Ivy "Someday," and "Plea for Peace," Bad Religion "Turn on the Lights" The list goes on and on and continues to this day. Currently cannot get enough of Jaya the Cat.
4. Are there any current artists or bands you wish more people knew about?
Dead Neck from Brighton, UK
Will Varley, also coincidentally from the UK
5. Is there such a thing as a bad Hall & Oates song? If such a song exists (there doesn't), in your opinion, what is it?
There's no such thing. We celebrate the entire catalogue
Yo Dan! Tour is finally over and we are back in Berlin tonight; heading home in the AM and I’m finding time to finally answer some emails before I fly home. So here we go!
1)Top 5 Artists
1. The Clash
2. Beastie Boys
3. New Order
4. The Geto Boys
5. The Cramps
2) Tour vs Home
Going on tour is very unpredictable despite having a very cryptic type schedule to keep with time frames, driving hours and the constant search for the luxuries of home such as ice, air conditioning and public bathrooms that don’t cost money. The unpredictability is part of the fun with making new friends, trying new foods, visiting new countries, and of course you can’t beat spending time away from your home and responsibilities to be able to hang with your friends.
Being idle at home is great, but after touring a while, the feeling of desire starts to creep back and makes you want to hit the road all over again.
3)The Last LP I bought was
The Murder City Devils/The White Ghost Has Blood On His Hands
4)What artist do I think more people should know about these days?
Aside from Get Dead, I’d say people should look into War Bison, Connoisseur, and Petrol Girls.
5) Top 3 favourite shows of all time that I’ve seen.
1. Beastie Boys w/ Rancid and Asian Dub Foundation @ The Alamo Dome In San Antonio, TX 1998
2. Warped Tour with NOFX, Bad Religion, Unwritten Law, The Specials, Deftones and more @ The Astro Arena, Houston, TX summer 1998
3. Green Day with The Riverdales Insomniac Tour @ The Astro Arena, Houston, TX December 1995